Personal Data Protection Act (2012)
From 2 July 2014, the main data protection rules under the Personal Data Protection Act (PDPA) came into effect. This introduction brings about certain changes to the way in which SABHA may contact you for promotional and marketing messages. These changes will generally not affect informational and service-related messages sent by SABHA (such as newsletters and important notices).
For the purpose of carrying on SABHA’s operations, including registration and administration of your membership, you may be requested to provide personal data such as, but not limited to, the following, without which it may not be possible to satisfy your request:
- Full Name;
- Residential Address;
- Contact details, including contact numbers and email address;
- Employment information (Company’s Name/Designation or Position);
- Marital Status and Spouse Name (if married);
- Personal interests and hobbies
Sabha also collect personal data in the form of CV from individuals who would like to apply for the post of Minister of Religion (Purohit).
Collection of Personal Data
SABHA may collect your personal information and your family’s personal information when you and/or your family:
- Register a new membership
- Sign up for any religious event, cultural, sports, classes, and other activities
- Make booking reservations for services offered by SABHA
- Make donation towards SABHA
- Participate in any spiritual & educational classes, surveys, and/or other similar such activities
- Visit our website. SABHA may use “cookies”, where a small data file is sent to your browser to store and track information about you when you enter SABHA’s website. The cookie is used to track information such as the number of users and their frequency of use, profiles of users and their preferred sites. While this cookie can tell the SABHA when you enter SABHA’s sites and which pages you visit, it cannot read data off your hard disk.
- You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
- Submit enquiries via SABHA’s website, e-mail or telephone
The information SABHA collects depends on the type of services that you would like to avail of.
Use of Personal Data Collected
SABHA either currently uses or may in the future use your personal data for any purpose not prohibited by applicable law. This includes the following purposes:
- Processing your membership registration
- Membership account opening and operations relating to your membership account, and suspending or closing the membership account
- Respond to enquiries and requests from you or people you have authorized
- Inform you about SABHA related updates, policies, classes, events and other notices
- Deliver SABHA’s monthly newsletter, called SABHA SANDESH, event updates and other relevant notices like Annual General Meeting, etc. to your registered mailing address, email address, or mobile phones
- Publish photographs or other photos, in which you might appear, in SABHA’s monthly newsletter and / or Event specific publications, SABHA’s Facebook page, SABHA’s website etc. By giving your consent to be taken in a photograph or video recording, you allow SABHA to make use of the material for its publications. You also accept that you will not be compensated in any way for the use of your likeness, image, voice, etc.
- Provide telephone or online (when made available) booking services and facilities related to services offered by the SABHA and issuing receipts for the payment made
- Conduct research and member satisfaction surveys
- Developing new services or activities
- Processing job applications, recruitment and selection of Ministers of Religion (Purohits)
- Processing Work Permit applications of the Ministers of Religion (Purohits)
- Complying with any law or the requirements of any regulatory authority. SABHA reserves the right to collect, use or disclose your Personal Data if the collection, use or disclosure is required or authorized under any written law, even where you have exercised your right to withdraw your consent
- Seeking professional advice (including but not limited to obtaining legal advice and facilitating dispute resolution)
- Maintaining the safety and security of our premises with the use of security cameras as and when the SABHA decides to install a system
SABHA will not use, disclose or process your Personal Data for purposes which are not stated above or for which SABHA has not obtained your consent. If SABHA wishes to use, disclose or process your Personal Data for another purpose, SABHA will seek your prior written consent.
Disclosure of Personal Data
All personal data held by the SABHA will be kept confidential. SABHA may, where such disclosure is necessary to satisfy the purpose, for which the data was collected, provide such information to the following parties:
- Ministers of Religion (Purohits) employed by the SABHA, who are providing the Services offered by SABHA
- SABHA’s Management Committee members for running the day to day operations of the Sabha, conducting SABHA events and addressing any queries from the members
- Cloud Service Providers for storing files
- EDM / Email Service Providers
- Government Agencies like Ministry of Manpower, IRAS, RoS
- Insurance Agencies as required for Work Permit Application / Extension
All SABHA’s service providers to whom any personal data is disclosed for the purposes mentioned above, must abide to the PDPA laws and regulations.
Withdrawal of Consent
By becoming a SABHA member, you will be considered to have consented to receiving SABHA’s electronic and printed publications. Withdrawal of membership will amount to withdrawal of consent.
To collect, use, disclose or retain personal data
If you do not wish SABHA to use or disclose your Personal Data for any of the above purposes, you may withdraw your consent at any time by giving written notice to SABHA pursuant to the Personal Data Protection Act 2012. However, the withdrawal of your consent will result in SABHA not being able to provide services to you and hence terminate your membership.
Access and Correction of Personal Data
If you wish to access, update or otherwise change or remove any information that you provide to SABHA, please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Administration charges may apply depending on the amount of effort required to produce requested information.
Accuracy of Personal Data
SABHA keeps personal data as accurate, complete and up-to-date as necessary, taking into account its use and the interests of its members. Where possible, SABHA will validate data provided using generally accepted practices and guidelines. This includes the requests to see original documentation before SABHA may use the personal data such as with Personal Identifiers and/or proof of address and/or call the proposer and/or seconder to your membership application.
Protection of Personal Data
SABHA protects personal data against loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification with security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the personal data, regardless of the format in which it is held. SABHA uses various methods to safeguard personal data. They include:
Physical measures: Locked filing cabinets, and in future, CCTV systems.
Technical measures: SABHA’s data stored in cloud services are with reputed service providers known for their industry standard security practices and protection. SABHA incorporates security measures such as password, encryption and authentication tools in line with general industry practices to protect personal data from unauthorized use. Firewalls are utilized to protect its servers and network from unauthorized users accessing and tampering with files and other information that we store.
Administrative measures: Confidentiality agreements, limiting access on a need-to-know basis, and staff training.
Retention of Personal Data
SABHA will retain your personal data only for as long as the purposes, for which such data is collected or used (as notified to you) continues, or where necessary for our legal or business purposes, not exceeding 3 years. Thereafter, SABHA will delete or destroy the personal data, or remove the means by which the data can be associated with you, in a proper and secure manner.
Transfer of Personal Data Outside of Singapore
SABHA does not transfer personal data to any third party service providers outside of Singapore. In case the need arises, SABHA shall take steps to ensure that appropriate levels of protection necessary to maintain the security and integrity of your personal data are in place and that any transferred data is processed only in accordance with the PDPA and any other applicable law.
Changes to Policy